‘Out Of Many, One People’
Even though the name has changed over the years, the theme remains the same…celebrating the life and legacy of the King of Reggae Nesta Robert Marley OM. Each year his sons, Stephen, Damian, Julian, and Ky-Mani come together and put on a festival that leaves you wanting more. Held on March 12th at Bayfront Park, Miami, the festival featured a relaxed atmosphere, spiritual vibe, well known reggae artists, freshly made ethnic dishes, and a diverse market, with different arts and crafts and souvenirs. Gates open from 1pm to 12 midnight. A fun, laid back, beautiful, ‘don’t worry about a ting’ day. So relax and allow me to showcase to you this year’s 18th Annual 9 Mile Music Festival and hope you will experience a taste of what I did. Experience one of the Wonders of Jamaica.
Mellow music played by many different artists throughout the day; DJ Mala, Inner Circle, Slightly Stoopid, Marley brothers, and many more.
The crowd is a mixture of beautiful people; old school and modern day hippies, Rastafarians…old, young, white, black, Jewish…, clean cut Republicans, laid back Democrats, Latinos, and of course there are your Jamaicans, and so many more ethnic groups blend together to celebrate this amazing Legend.
Charities at the Festival:
Jamaica Deaf Education Project Inc. was amongst the crowd handing out information and raising awareness for the cause. The cause is to educate deaf children, living in Jamaica, whose parents just simply cannot afford to educate their special needs children.
Contact Info: www.jdep.org
Operation Green Leaves Inc. was also on hand, displaying different ways to invest in Haiti’s environment, through educating the community and restoring forests.
Contact Info: www.oglhaiti.com
- Buy tickets online; cost more at the gate
- Make SURE to take the required amount of canned food
- Some vendors do take cards; but take enough cash
- Check weather report
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes
- Take a disposable blanket
- Cameras are NOT allowed inside the venue; although I see many people with cameras inside
- Take sunscreen
- Ladies, take a little tissue with you
- Take purel and wipes: These items come in small sizes and can easily fit in your purse
- Drink a lot of water
- Check out the different shops and prices
- Have fun